Tuesday, February 5, 2013

On the Inclusion of Heterosexuals in MCC

On the Inclusion of Heterosexuals in MCC

I was asked today about the inclusion of heterosexuals in Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC). This has been a topic of discussion in our movement since the very beginning. Heterosexual allies have been members and regular attendees of MCCs since the very beginning of UFMCC in 1968. We have always expressed as a denomination that ALL are welcome, not just Gay and Lesbian people. We recognize that even within the "LGBT" community, Bisexuals sometimes partner with people of the opposite* sex, as do Transgender folks. (*Note that I use the word "opposite" within the ideology of the binary gender system (which I do not agree with) in which a person must choose to be either male or female.)

UFMCC is a Historically LGBT Church, just as denominations like the African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME) are Historically African American Churches. MCC grew out of the Gay Liberation Movement of the 1960s. So sexual orientation and gender identity have formed our story as a people. The founders of MCC did not seek to just form a system of LGBT community centers; rather they were (and are) people of Christian faith who sought to work for social justice and worship freely as LGBT people. Within our Christian identity, we find affirmation of our whole selves, including our sexual orientation and gender identity. And we also find a special calling through our experience as outsiders on the margins to be a prophetic voice in the world for social justice for everyone.

That "everyone" includes all heterosexuals whose privilege is challenged by other demographics such as race, class, ability, age, etc. So when a heterosexual attends worship at an MCC, s/he may at first feel out of place because the majority of those in the room are LGBT. But in listening to the message of radical inclusion, s/he will find that s/he is fully welcome.

Including hetero folks in MCC does not however mean compromising our identity and forgetting our history. On any given Sunday, you are likely to hear me mention in my sermon something about LGBT rights and identity. I speak very openly about bodies and sexuality (within appropriate boundaries of course). I also speak from my own experience, so I speak from my social location as a Gay man. As a feminist, I also do my best to challenge sexism and misogyny. You will also hear me speak weekly against racism. LGBT rights are not my only concern in regard to how I interpret the Good News of Jesus, but I do know that the intersection of gender/sexuality and the Christian faith is our history and our home.

I have been a regular attendee at several Historically African American churches over the years. I have enjoyed the rich sense of culture that is expressed and embodied unapologetically within worship. I was oftentimes the only Caucasian person in the room, but I was always welcomed with open arms. Sermons at these churches always included stories from Black History and challenged the oppression of people of color. These elements never made me uncomfortable as a white person because I share the same values as those in these churches. I too am anti-racist.  I did not misinterpret their authenticity as people of color as being anti-white. I know that there are groups such as the Nation of Islam that claim publicly to hate white people, but there was no reason to associate these inclusive Historically African American churches with such exclusive groups.

Such is the same with MCC. We are not anti-heterosexual. We ARE however against heterosexism, homophobia, homo-hatred, hetero-supremacy, biphobia, transphobia, cisgender-supremacy, and the like. We do not tolerate such ideologies in our churches and we fight publicly to eliminate them in our society. We welcome all heterosexuals into our communities who share these values of equality and justice. All present will experience each week a healthy dose of queer activism. If that makes you uncomfortable, I advise you to reevaluate your own internalized oppression. Just as it would be incredibly wrong, rude, and racist to ask a Historically African American Church to be "less Black," it is wrong, rude, and oppressive to ask MCC to be "less queer." MCC has recognized since our founding that queer activism is Christian activism. It is our faith that calls us to transform the world into a more loving place and a safer place for all people; and who better to address issues of discrimination than those of us who experience it (implicitly or explicitly) every day.

My final thought on this topic is to say "thank you" to all the heterosexual allies who have stood up for LGBT people even when it required sacrifice of your own privilege. It is a great joy and comfort to know that we are not alone on this fight for equality. You are appreciated, you are loved, and you are always welcome! Just know, you will experience the Divine in a unique way in our churches, a way that shows brightly the queerness of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment